In Rensselaer County, at least 30,000 teens and adults can’t complete a job application, write a letter to a child’s school or read the directions on a bottle of cough syrup.
The Benefits of a Literate Community
- Literate people are more likely to become employed and to retain employment. They can enter post-secondary education and command higher
salaries as a result.
- Literate employees are more confident and have better morale. They can communicate well with co-workers, supervisors, and managers.
They make fewer mistakes and contribute more ideas.
- Literate breadwinners have better economic opportunities and make more informed decisions about their finances.
They are less likely to fall victim to fraud.
- Literate parents can support their children’s education and ensure that their children have opportunities to succeed in life.
Adults who read, write, and communicate well are good role models for youth.
- Literate men and women have much better chances of staying out of prison. More than 70% of inmates in state prisons
are functionally illiterate.
- Literate refugees and immigrants are more likely to attain citizenship and to become active participants in their
- Literate adults are more likely to be healthy and to maintain good health over a lifetime.