Student & Volunteer Coordinator
Literacy Volunteers of Rensselaer County
Literacy Volunteers of Rensselaer County is a nonprofit organization located in Troy and Albany, NY that provides literacy education for adult learners. Our mission is to teach adults how to read, write, and converse in English, as well as provide instruction in financial literacy, digital literacy, and math literacy.
You will work with a collaborative team who are dedicated to helping adults learn or improve their English competency. This full-time position works with learners and volunteers in Albany and Rensselaer Counties. You will work closely with colleagues to recruit, train, and manage a cadre of volunteer tutors, and register and assess students. This rewarding career will warm your heart knowing you are helping adults in our community – both newcomers and basic literacy learners – learn English and meet their personal goals.
- Recruit, train, and support volunteers
- Register, assess, and match students with tutors
- Responsible for taking an active role in evaluating student data
- Schedule, coordinate, support and monitor trainings and keep resources updated
- Review student progress reports from tutors; do timely follow-up, maintain well organized, up-to-date records on students and tutors
- Provide case management to students and referrals to needed services
- Update student and tutor data in database
- Attend meetings and community/volunteer service events to promote LVORC
- Participate in program management meetings and professional development opportunities to expand pertinent skills and knowledge
- Assist with and attend special events as requested
- Work closely with LVORC team members
- Prepare reports and updates as requested
- Minimum of Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- 1 year experience in the field of reading and/or teaching/adult education preferred
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and can easily work with people from diverse backgrounds and educational levels
- Computer skills
- Works well on a team and independently
- Creative in approaching tasks and problem solving
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 – $20.00 per hour; 35-hours per week
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Work Location: Albany and Troy, NY
Send resume and cover letter to: Nancy Benz, Executive Director, Literacy Volunteers of Rensselaer County, 65 1st Street, Troy, NY 12180, email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.